This is terrible news: not only is Congress about to pass a massive $700 billion military spending bill, Democrats just caved and abandoned a bunch of progressive priorities that would have reined in Trump's war powers.
House Democrats gave up on amendments to the National Defense Authorization Act that would end the war in Yemen, prevent Trump from going to war in Iran, end the ban on transgender people serving in the military, and stop the border wall.1
Progressives in Congress like Ro Khanna and Mark Pocan voted no. Now we need to stand with them and urge Senators to do the same. Will you fight this terrible military spending bill?
Sign the petition: Tell the Senate to vote NO on the military spending bill!
Senate Republicans are already gloating about their wins. They literally passed around a sheet on Tuesday that read "Progressive Agenda Halted."2
Some of the things they halted include:
- Restrictions on the border wall
- Ending arms sales to Saudi Arabia and ending the war in Yemen
- Ending the discriminatory ban on transgender people serving in the military
- Repealing the 2002 Authorization of Use of Military Force
- Preventing Trump from going to war with Iran
- Cleaning up decades of water pollution on and near military bases
And in return, Democrats even gave Trump his precious Space Force. I wish that was a joke. It's not.3
This was a key moment to stop Trump — especially as he's about to be impeached for abuse of power. Spending more than $700 billion on the military without progressive reforms is unacceptable. We still have one last opportunity to act, and we need your help.
One observer said Democrats "got completely rolled."3 But it's not over yet. The Senate vote on the NDAA is coming up fast. There is still time to stop this awful bill from passing. Will you help?
Add your name: Tell Senators to vote NO on the massive military spending bill!
1. Roll Call, "Democrats 'got completely rolled' in NDAA talks, critics say," December 10, 2019.
2. Tweet from Dean Scott, Bloomberg News Reporter, December 10, 2019.
3. US News, “Trump Scores a Win with Space Force in Defense Bill,” December 10, 2019.
4. Roll Call, "Democrats 'got completely rolled' in NDAA talks, critics say," December 10, 2019